Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]

How would you rate the CAO Gold Double Robusto?
* 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
** 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
*** 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
**** 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
***** 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haven't tried it yet, but plan to 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not interested 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: CAO Gold Double Robusto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:42 pm 
Herfer

I tried this cigar today at the Smokey Cigar in Hendersonville. I like CAO's, but never have been totally enthralled with one until today. However, this is, hands down, the best cigar I've ever smoked. I am a beginner cigar smoker, which doesn't give me that much credibility, but I have smoked quite a wide variety of cigars. I asked the tobacconist to recommend a medium bodied, nutty tasting cigar around the $5 price range, so he pointed me to the CAO Golds. I was going to get the robusto because it was cheaper, but I discovered that they gave NCC discounts, so it ended up being less than $5!

Anyway, when I took my first puff, I practically melted! "Is this really just a CAO?" I thought to myself. The nutty flavor that I love was obviously there, and it was very sweet. I also had a cup of vanilla coffee, which complemented it perfectly. It had a very even burn. The only complaint I have is that the ash doesn't get very long, so it often falls off too soon, often not making it to the ash tray. However, I made up for that quite easily by reading the latest issue of Cigar Aficionado. If the ash fell off before reaching the ash tray, it would fall onto the magazine, and then I'd dump it into the tray.

This would be a great after dinner cigar, as it was like having dessert. It's almost like smoking a Baby Ruth bar! :P I'd give it five stars and recommend it to anyone who prefers a sweet, nutty smoke.

Last edited by LoneStarSmoker on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CAO Gold Double Robusto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:54 pm 
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Poll not working!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:59 pm 
VIP Member
VIP Member

CAO's Gold was never one of my favorites...good stogie, but just never wowed me much. Interesting thing is...it's their best seller. I do love the Gold Vintage, though...a little more expensive, totally different filler, binder and wrapper combination. Creamy and buttery with more kick than you might expect. Give it a try sometime.

http://tikibaronline.blogspot.com/
CRA #216238
NCC #000032

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:07 pm 
Official Member

LoneStarSmoker wrote:
I tried this cigar today at the Smokey Cigar in Hendersonville. I like CAO's, but never have been totally enthralled with one until today. However, this is, hands down, the best cigar I've ever smoked. I am a beginner cigar smoker, which doesn't give me that much credibility, but I have smoked quite a wide variety of cigars. I asked the tobacconist to recommend a medium bodied, nutty tasting cigar around the $5 price range, so he pointed me to the CAO Golds. I was going to get the robusto because it was cheaper, but I discovered that they gave NCC discounts, so it ended up being less than $5!

I'm not normally a fan of Rocky Patel, but the Rocky Patel Connecticut is worth seeking out - Flawless and buttery wrapper around a light medium blend - very nice. Rocky tends to price his cigars a little higher than they're worth, but it's a good, chewy smoke.

A Cabaiguan is very nice, too, a little milder, but at a premium price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:18 pm 
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

dmj wrote:
CAO's Gold was never one of my favorites...good stogie, but just never wowed me much. Interesting thing is...it's their best seller. I do love the Gold Vintage, though...a little more expensive, totally different filler, binder and wrapper combination. Creamy and buttery with more kick than you might expect. Give it a try sometime.

Ditto on the Gold Vintage

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 pm 
Herfer

dartfrog wrote:
Poll not working!

That's odd, Dart. I tried editing it, and it's still invalid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 am 
VIP Member
VIP Member

Im not a fan of CAO, they never have impressed me at all.

David Moss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:56 am 
Official Member

cardinalsfan wrote:
Im not a fan of CAO, they never have impressed me at all.

Right. Why can't Tatuaje be based in Nashville? I love buying local, but CAOs are kinda boring. Except the Sopranos - that one is gaudy but a rather good smoke. As long as you don't pay MSRP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:06 am 
VIP Member
VIP Member

I vote for Tatuaje in Nashville. I bet Pat does too. La Traviata is ok but just not that exciteing at all.

David Moss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 am 
VIP Member
VIP Member

c'mon guys... Lx2, Mx2, and Cx2 are (or should I say were?) top notch smokes. The Brazilia is a good value option, as are the Travi's.

Boring? Maybe the milder blends, but not the whole line. Hard to believe there isn't one or two CAO sticks that do it for you. In the last 4 years, they've brought some good smokes to market.

Dave, what sub-$5 does excite you? Not sure I can name but 1 or 2. Perhaps that expectation is a bit high?

--G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:34 pm 
Herfer

I never was a huge CAO fan either until I tried the Gold.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

BluesMan wrote:
c'mon guys... Lx2, Mx2, and Cx2 are (or should I say were?) top notch smokes. The Brazilia is a good value option, as are the Travi's.

Boring? Maybe the milder blends, but not the whole line. Hard to believe there isn't one or two CAO sticks that do it for you. In the last 4 years, they've brought some good smokes to market.

Dave, what sub-$5 does excite you? Not sure I can name but 1 or 2. Perhaps that expectation is a bit high?

--G

I'm with Greg, they have some good product, or maybe I should say had.....I spoke withBrian over at Smokey, and the general rep told him that the Nicaraguan factory will stay, but they will consolidate the others. So hopefully some of the cigars will stay decent!

NCC VIP #000003
CRA#207132
Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Raul Julia

http://FrankSellsNashville.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am 
Petite Corona

I am actually smoking a gold today not my best cigar but it has enough flavor and little body for the morning. I agree that Rocky 99 is great I usually by that as a gift for people who do not smoke usually. Out of CAO the only ones I like is the La travi natural, Brazil, and associate.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]